The Reasons Behind the Conception
Perhaps it is taken for granted by many people that the Mediterranean is a great source of culture not only in present times, but historically as well. Many of us who engage in the study of Western culture will frequently find that some part of it can be traced to the Mediterranean area.
Surprisingly, no one has, up to now, engaged in any synthetic study of the Mediterranean. The vertical study of history based on each district has been prevalent. It is also considered that political and national confrontations have prevented that history from having objective judgment. Moreover, the different and unique elements from various Mediterranean districts, especially elements of different sensibilities have made the true synthetic understanding of culture difficult.
In spite of this, however, we are convinced that it is possible to study the Mediterranean area in a total context as it has been a cultural center and crossroads for thousands of years.
The Mediterranean sensibilities surrounding the inland sea need to be clarified and approached on the assumption that they are one culture. This approach cannot be made by one special field alone but with free participation and contact with several connected sciences. In addition, it is considered essential to have the advice, cooperation and vision of writers, poets and artists.
It is the object of our committee to draw this cooperation from various cultural fields that it can have the clarity, mellow fertility and geniality of the Mediterranean, as the same time.
The Aims of the Collegium Mediterranistarum
- To promote and encourage research and study of Mediterranean culture.
- To collect documents and materials and to exhibit them to the public.
- To hold seminars, lectures and exhibitions.
- To publish periodicals and other publication to make known the findings and opinions of the members.
- To establish and maintain contact with other learned societies both in Japan and abroad.
- To encourage and train specialists in the field.
- To undertake other activities from time to time, in keeping with the aims of the society.
In accordance with the above aims, the following activities are planned.
- to hold serial lectures
- to hold symposiums
- to hold monthly seminars
- to publish a monthly bulletin
- to hold concerts